Monday, July 21, 2014

Poignant

The way we were taught how to spell in high school was anything but effective. We were given a list every week, and were expected to memorize each word on it and the accompanied definition. Only to relay it onto a test that was worth an insignificant percent of our overall grade in the class. Most of the time, those new words were forgotten the minute I turned in my test. I'm not sure why, but ever since "poignant" presented itself on our list, it was one I could not forget. Amongst the monotonous clusters of spelling words, this one stood out.

Perhaps it's because the sound of the word itself almost evokes the emotions it's supposed to portray. Instead of smoothly rolling off the tongue, there's a sharp stop in the middle of the word. In my mind, that sudden halt represents the sudden surge of pain and sadness. There's something so hauntingly beautiful about it that captivated me.

Despite the fact that this word is supposed to recall forlorn feelings, it has become a favorite amongst my vocabulary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment