Sunday, June 7, 2015

It's Official

If you're at all close to me, you are well aware of the mess that my life has become. Between quitting my job, taking a break from teaching, and deciding to move back home, it feels as if my life has turned upside down. 

Let's start from the beginning.

Growing up, I fought every urge to become an educator. Because my mother was a teacher, it was ruled out as a career option fairly early on. While I had an interest in dance, I babysat for extra money. Although I was more interested in paleontology, I tutored and nannied. And when I was majoring in psychology, all of my classes were geared toward child development and education. Looking back, you can tell that all the signs were pointing towards teaching. I finally gave into this path when I realized that I, too, had the teaching gift. 

That gift is still in me, as is the love and respect for the education of children. What's changed is the passion I have for the craft. Despite the fact that education and teaching is all I've ever known, I'm not happy. As explained to my boss, I have too much respect for the profession to pretend I am happy when the education of children is at risk. And perhaps, down the road, I will return to the profession. But for now, I need a change. Which is exactly why I quit my job. 

So, with no job, and a needed break from the only profession on my resume, I had to figure out what the hell I was going to do. It certainly was not an easy decision to make, but I decided to move back home. It's time for me to go back to my roots and explore what life has to offer. I don't have a job lined up, nor any idea of what kind of job I want to pursue. I don't have a time table or a plan for how this is supposed to play out. I have me, my stuff, and a moving date. 

And I'm ready for my next adventure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment