Tuesday, August 11, 2015

I Got Up Today

Not only did I get up, but I made brownies, hung a picture, wrapped a present, and started a project. I was out of bed and productive. And it felt good.

For those of you unaware of why this is such an amazing accomplishment for me, I have been suffering from a fairly severe case of depression. I've been almost bedridden for a little over a week now.

Depression is something I battle on a daily basis. Ever since my sophomore year of high school, where it was trauma induced. There are some cycles where it's almost nonexistent and I am able to carry on as "normal." But there are also cycles where I'm so overwhelmed that I can barely move.

Lately, it's been the latter. I've been canceling plans with friends, crying for the majority of the day, and unable to leave my bed.

But I got up today.

Because of the optimist in me, I would love to say that this is a step towards recovery. And maybe it is. But it's equally as likely for me to revert back into the depression that I've been all too familiar with.

Either way, I am choosing to celebrate the fact that today, I got up.

No comments:

Post a Comment